Thursday, October 24, 2013

Folk art buffet

Holy cow, guys.  I suck at updating this blog anymore.  I am so.freaking.busy.  My kitchen's still not done, but it's getting soooooo close.  Soon.  Soon.  I took a break while my husband was away for a couple weeks and re-did my master bathroom.  I've upholstered a handful of chairs, and I'm making two adorable little sheep costumes for Halloween.

Somewhere in there, we had a huge order at the shop.  A couple came in a bought a ton of furniture, including this buffet I had posted a while back:


However, they wanted it re-painted in a folk art style.  The only direction I was given was that they wanted the fun colors found in the shop, and that I had total creative freedom.  Let me tell you- that stressed me out.  Crazy bad.  I have never, never, ever painted anything in that style...and this was a big piece.

I did a lot of searching.  Lately, I love herringbone, so I knew I wanted to incorporate that.  Otherwise, I found this rug, and bought it for my own living room...only to be told two weeks later it was out of stock and my money was going to be refunded...so I used it as inspiration as well.  I know it's hard to see in the pictures I've posted before, but these are "shop" colors if ever there were any.


Before I show you the process though, let me show you where we began (or close to it).


I stripped three layers of veneer of this buffet, filled it, and sanded it before it was ever painted blue.  Let's just say that when they told me I had to repaint it, and in such a crazy style for me, I wanted to cry a little.

I started out by enlarging the design, and mirroring it in half to get it the size I wanted.  Then I used carbon paper to trace the design to the top.  From there, I painted...


And painted...

And painted...

And painted (and CLEARLY did not clean...) 

And slowly...

It was transformed.

Into a crazy bright, fun, folk art buffet...complete with six coats of poly...

and big glass knobs, and original hoop pulls on the drawers.

I probably spent over 200 hours painting this thing.  In the end, I was proud of it, because it'd become my baby...but I have to admit- I have no desire to paint like this again.  I'm sad that the final picture I have of it was taken at night, blown up by artificial light, but it's what I have.  The buffet has been delivered to it's new owners, who are in love, and packing it and an entire storage shed of furniture purchased from our shop (Flea Market to Fabulous) to their new home in South Carolina.




Hopefully I'll be back sooner than later with some more updates...but who ever knows with two kids, all this painting, and a husband as busy as could be!




Sharing with:
Miss Mustard Seed FFF
The Dedicated House
Beyond the Picket Fence

12 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I can't even imagine all the work and time spent on this. I think I would be so sick of it by the time it was done I wouldn't ever want to think about it again. You did a fantastic job, I'm sure your clients love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, now that's a work of art!!! Beautiful to say the least. Glad I found you over at the Furniture Feature Friday Party.
    Marie@InteriorFrugalista

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I visited Miss Mustard Seed's Party tonight. Great job!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me be more specific... this is one of my favorite furniture pieces I've ever seen reloved. I absolutely love that you used acrylic paint. I love all the colors. I guess I'll have to jump on board with this idea because I LOVE color and boho is my whole look like you've got going on here. <3 from Texas!

    Beja

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I sure hope you got paid handsomely for that endeavor. I know how time consuming and arduous that is to do. It's a beautiful piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! You are an artist! That is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never be able to sell this. It's beautiful. I hope you got paid for how much effort you put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 16,000 Woodworking Plans With Step-By-Step Details, Photos, Materials Lists And More!
    http://woodworkingplanspro.weebly.com
    Hope it will help you next time !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was diagnosed about 5 years ago with HIV and have lived taking ARV and thought of having Herbal medicine to cure this disease completely. I wouldn't be able to bear Vomiting and my tongue would go white because of these diseases called HIV/Aids. I learned to live with it but I have definitely prayed and had hands laid on me, My friends at work knew about my HIV Status so on a faithful day my friend Hannah talk to me about this great man called Dr Itua From west African because my friend Hannah is from West African too she came to acquire degree here in South Carolina, I accepted the challenge and contacted Dr Itua Herbal Center...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com also chats on Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967. Then he delivered his Herbal medicine to me which was labeled as Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cure For HIV/Aids, I took it as he instructed. After two weeks I went to the test and I was tested Negative. I'm still writing on every blog site related to the following diseases such as HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus, Shingles, Hepatitis B/C, Because he cures this kind of disease.    

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! If you have a detailed question, please email me at ConfessionsofaDIYaholic@gmail.com.