Monday, July 21, 2014

I finished the kitchen, and then we moved...

Well, folks.  We knew it was coming.  The dreaded "move" happened this last month, and in the months leading up to the move, I did so much work that blogging about it was the last thing on my mind.  Now that the dust has started to settle, I want to take the time to do the final check in from the kitchen, and I'll be back again soon to show you my entire basement that I tackled in four months before the move, plus give you a little walk through of how I left my house (that I am currently missing SO much!)

When I last left you so many months ago, I was getting ready to put hardware on my drawers, so it was pretty close to finished at that point.  Sadly, these pictures still don't show the total finished space since I took them when we initially listed our house for rent, just before I refinished the floors, and before my last face plate came in for one of the outlets (You know...because SOMEONE may have cut the tile 1/8" short, and finding an oversize plate in a switch/outlet combo was next to impossible).  But, before we get to the after- let me remind you of the before, and the road to get to this point...

Before...




Gosh.  It was so dark, and cluttered, and dated!

Then we have some during shots... 




And finally, we get through all that hard work to the AFTER!!








And here's a picture of the floors after I finished them.

I used a mixture of 2 parts English chestnut and 1 part dark walnut stain to achieve this color on the red oak floors.  As is typical for me, I jumped in with both feet and sanded and refinished the floors in the entire first floor of my house over a three day weekend while my mom watched my boys.  It was a busy, dusty, exhausting time- but I love how all of the floors flow throughout my house now, and how they no longer scream 80's golden oak.

I wish I had taken a picture of the new French doors and handles we put into the old pantry area.  It's still a pantry, but my sweet hubby wired it and I used it as an appliance pantry to keep all my appliances off the counters.  I also wish I had taken pictures of the "bells and whistles" of the room, and I definitely regret not blogging as I went because there were so many little details that I worked on in the space...but that's ok.  I have pictures, and a memory, and soon I'll be back there again.  :)




Sharing with:
The Dedicated House
Nap Time Creations
Domestically Speaking
Pink When
Rain on a Tin Roof
Your Home Based Mom
DIY Show Off
Skip to My Lou
Home Stories A to Z
Savvy Southern Style
Miss Mustard Seed's FFF

16 comments:

  1. Wow, what a transformation. I don't know why you couldn't stay there but it is very pretty and sooooooooooooo much better than the before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Terry! We had to move for my husband's job. He just finished his residency and now he's working on a fellowship at a different hospital. I am so proud of him, but sad we had to leave our home for now. We are hoping to be back to it in two years!

      Delete
  2. Seems like you did a great job in the whole kitchen, with the floor in particular! It really looks beautiful now. I don't know whether you knew the final colour of the floor prior mixing those shades or whether it was just an experiment, but the result turned out great! Moving and refurnishing is exhausting, I know mine, however when I moved I spared some time for redesigning my old furniture to give it a second chance and breath in a new life, so I would move in with new style while still saving myself a little money. (Just spray painted my dining chairs and gave them new cushions, for instance.) Not sure if you have time, though. Here are some nice tips, simple 30-minutes to one-day projects including: Reusing Old Furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is so gorgeous. I would cry if I had to leave something like that behind.... It just isn't fair!!! Hope your new home has a decent kitchen? Can I hope for you? :)
    xox, Crystelle
    CrystelleBoutique


    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from FFF... love the results of all your hard work. The kitchen is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an amazing job! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's party. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-109.html Hope to see you again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, it's amazing the job you did, my goodness such talent, I could never imagine me doing floors like a real pro!!! Congrats your kitchen's AFTER IS GORGEOUS!
    You deserve to be featured at Make it Pretty Mon. I am in awe of your talent, my friend.
    I just followed your blog, I hope you want to follow back, I want to visit you again! Tks for sharing.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  7. my goodness, what a revamped space. you did a fabulous job.
    b

    ReplyDelete
  8. So stunning! It's hard to believe it was the same room. Your blog inspires me, and very reluctant DIYer, tackle things around my house. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous Kayla - what a transformation
    ( I just finished redoing a very old dated kitchen so I know the work involved ) but yours came out magnificent - love every detail ( especially the counter tops ) Does that arched door way lead to an eating nook? How charming !
    xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzan! It does not lead to an eating nook. That woukd be cute! On the left after the doorway we put in 36" shaker French doors that hide an appliance pantry with five shelves. Each shelf was wire with 4 gang outlets and we kept our appliances (microwave, coffee pot, crock pot, food processor and blender, etc.) in there for use instead of having the countertops cluttered with them! On the right is another door that leads to the stairway to the basement and the rear door.

      Delete
  10. It's just beautiful!
    I love the backspash tiles and the wall colour you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous!!! And you kept it authentic looking. I love the piece over the range hood, I want my hubby to make one of those for my kitchen.
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. تبحث عن شركة متخصصة فى خدمات التنظيف بالدمام بافضل المعدات والسوائل وثقة تمة فى العمل ودقة فى النتائج كل هذه المميزت توفرها شركة الجنرال الشركة الافضل والامثل فى الخدمات المنزلية بالدمام وبما اننا الشركة الافضل والامثل بدون منافس سوف نسعى لتوفر افضل الخدمات باقل تكلفة وبقدر كبير من الاهتمام والدقة عزيزى اينما كنت فى اى منطقة ا وحى تابع لمدينة الدمام اتصل بنا وسوف نصلك فى الحال شركة االجنرال للخدمات المنزلية
    شركة نقل عفش بالدمام

    شركة تسليك مجاري بالدمام

    شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام

    شركه تنظيف منازل بالدمام ومجالس وكنب وشقق

    شركه مكافحه نمل ابيض بالدمام بافضل المبيدات

    شركه تنظيف مجالس وكنب بالدمام بافضل مواد التنظييف

    شركه تنظيف خزانات بالدمام مع التعقيم والغسيل

    شركه تنظيف سجاد بالدمام

    شركه تنظيف شقق بالدمام وفلل وقصور

    https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=ar&ictx=2&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiGtZy8vZXhAhWQzIUKHUhrBI8QPQgH

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! If you have a detailed question, please email me at ConfessionsofaDIYaholic@gmail.com.