Monday, July 25, 2011

Sometimes it pays to be a little creepy.

I had such a great weekend.  It all started with a little trip with Charlie.  Who's Charlie?  You mean you haven't met this little clown?  Well, allow me to introduce you.


Charlie is my French Bulldog, which very well may be the best breed of dog out there.  If you have a bucket list, I'd suggest adding "own a Frenchie" to it.  Seriously.  He has the best personality.

Anyway, back to the trip.  Charlie is 1 1/2 years old.  He's the little brother to Chloe, our 4 year old Boston Terrier.  We've had him since he was all of two pounds and eight weeks old.  This weekend, our local humane society sponsored a microchip and dog wash clinic.  We took part, and took the little goof to get chipped.

Hubs came along to help out (which was SO needed with a dog, a toddler, a bunch of kiddie pools, and 96 degree weather) even though he was on call.  Afterwards, he took Charlie home for a cool down since it was SO hot out, and Mason and I went to Target.  Not five minutes after getting home he was paged in, and called me on the way into the hospital to let me know.  That's where the fun began.

My funny little hubby...he complains that one of the things that he loves about me is also one of the things that drives him crazy.  I am an all in type of person.  When I get on a kick, I REALLY get on it...and lately, I've been a machine about finding steals on furniture.

While he's driving to work, telling me how I should be on the show "Hoarders" he stops mid-sentence to tell me-- his furniture obsessed, furniture hoarding wife-- that there's a FREE hutch sitting beside the road.

What's a girl to do?  Forget about it, or go take a look?  Well, of course I went to look at it, and of course I picked the darn thing up because I've been dying to work on a little snack shop for Mason to play in like the one Beckie at Infarrantly Creative made for her son.

As I drove on from picking up my free find, I noticed the owners of the residence had their garage completely open, and had tons of old furniture and goodies sitting outside.  As I drove past, I took one good rubbernecking sort of look, and then I saw it.  (Enter creepiness.)  I turned my car around and slowly pulled up next to them, rolled my window down, and half shouted out my window to the guys working in the garage.

"Hey- are you guys having a garage sale...or moving...?"

"No.  Why?  Do you see something you want?"

"Maybe.  Do you care if I get out and look?"

So I did.  I walked past two big bookcases, around to the back where I saw the back side of what I was hoping would be a huge, gaudy framed mirror...and BINGO.  There she was.



I asked them if they were willing to sell me the mirror.  The looks on their faces told me they weren't envisioning what sort of glory she could be with a little paint, but for $5 she could be mine.

$5.  That had to be fate.  I don't usually carry cash, but that day, I just so happened to have $5, and only $5 in my wallet, and the desire to take that mirror.

Eeek!  How lucky right?  See?...Sometimes it pays to be a little creepy.  Check back soon to see the transformation, and a few more finds from this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! If you have a detailed question, please email me at ConfessionsofaDIYaholic@gmail.com.